Parents often ask how to support their child’s learning at home. One great option is Moby Max. Every Redland student has a log-in to this website, paid for by the PTA. Moby Max allows students to practice skills in reading, math, writing, and vocabulary. Teachers can assign students specific practice activities and give them feedback on their work. Some teachers have even had their students set goals for the number of minutes students work in Moby Max. Here are some tips for using Moby Max with your child at home:
- Try to practice frequently for 20-30 minutes at a time.
- Provide scratch paper so students have space to solve math problems.
- Allow students to work independently. This gives teachers have an accurate idea of what students can accomplish without adult help, and what areas in which they still need help.
- Encourage and reward effort and stamina (time on task), instead of emphasizing skill levels.
- Ask your child to share about what they’ve been practicing. Try to use any newly learned words in your family conversations.
You can access Moby Max via our school website at: http://www.redlandschool.org/resources